Thursday, October 11, 2012

Geometry Explorations

This unit is all things geometry.  Our five learning targets for this unit are. . .

I can draw and identify types of angles (acute, obtuse, right, straight, adjacent, vertical)
I can draw and identify types of triangles (equilateral, isosceles, right, scalene)
I can identify place value in numbers from the billions to the hundredths
I can create and define tessellations
I can classify polygons and identify their properties

I also included the link to a site that has resources for each lesson of our Everyday Math curriculum.  I just spent some time playing Banana Hunt (a link from the site), which is a great game for thinking about measures of different angles.

http://www1.center.k12.mo.us/edtech/edm/5.htm

And, below is a link to the Everyday Math For Parents Site. . .this is an abundance of information from suggested resources to videos on algorithms (lattice multiplication, partial quotients division, etc.) to PDFs of the homework pages.

http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/parents/

And. . .a few pics of the kiddos using math tools to meet these learning targets:






As always, please let me know if you have questions or concerns about your child's progress in math.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher Contacts:

jhochstetler@mid-prairie.k12.ia.us
epennington@mid-prairie.k12.ia.us